We are a group of volunteers co-ordinating a local response to the refugee crisis.
Our aims are…
- To make our elected representatives aware that there is strong support in our communities for welcoming refugees.To campaign for the UK government:
- 1. To accept a fair and generous quota of refugees in partnership with the other countries of Europe;
- 2. To provide more funding and assistance to those countries where the refugees arrive.
- To campaign for the Welsh Government, Powys County Council and our towns and communities to offer to resettle refugee families and to secure adequate funding and support from the UK government.
- To provide information to our own communities about the plight of refugees and help to co-ordinate the efforts of all who wish to assist them.
- To establish a programme to provide short-term respite and sanctuary for refugees in the peaceful countryside in and around the Brecon Beacons National Park.
- To promote the inclusion and welfare of refugees and asylum-seekers, by encouraging our area to make a public commitment to becoming a place of welcome and safety.
- To encourage and support local communities and voluntary, community and faith (VCF) organisations in welcoming and assisting asylum-seekers and refugees.
- To publicise and celebrate the contribution of asylum-seekers and refugees to their local communities, and to UK society and culture, and to challenge hostility and discrimination against them.